Museum “Dugout - bunker of Lasch”This material is added after the second trip to Kaliningrad in 2011, a year after the first visit in 2010.
From historical and tourist point of view, the dug-out, or as they say more frequently now, the bunker of Lasch, is an interesting place to see in Kaliningrad.
It is named so after the last commandant of Koenigsberg General Otto von Lasch, who took the post on January 28, 1945. It is from this bunker that Lasch controlled the defense of the city from 6 to April 10, 1945. The General was ordered to defend the city and keep it at any cost. The one who gave this full of despair order had better come himself there from Berlin.
Now the museum-bunker holds the exhibition devoted to the pre-war Koenigsberg, defensive structures, capture of the city by Soviet troops and the unconditional surrender of the German fascist troops of the Koenigsberg garrison. Two short films about the city – the German and Soviet ones are shown in the museum. The first film was shot by the Germans about the flourishing Koenigsberg of 1939, the second film – about the assault.
All the museum visitors will appreciate the colorful and exciting dioramas of battles in the streets of Koenigsberg.
In 2011 an entry ticket for the citizens of the Russian Federation was worth 50 roubles. For additional 50 roubles, one can get a permit to take pictures. The price for foreign citizens is higher.
The landmarks for understanding the location of the dugout in the city are the Plaza shopping center, hotel Kaliningrad (in the yard of which the bunker is situated), Kaliningrad University (in front of which there is a bunker) and University Street, which, while passing along Leninsky Avenue(Prospekt), may not be even noticed because somebody, right in the middle of the beginning of the street, has built an arch-building, which presently houses the Mercury shopping center. Naturally, there are no street nameplates indicating the way to the museum in Kaliningrad. I repeat – in Kaliningrad tourists are held for fools. At the bottom of the page there is a map that will help you to find the bunker.
Museum-bunker is open daily from 10:00 to 17:00.
Day off - Monday.
The bunker is a long-term fortification, built in February 1945 for Koenigsberg garrison troops command.
Length of the foundation pit – 42 m.
Width of the foundation pit – 15 m.
Depth of foundation pit - 7m.
Thickness of the inner walls - 40-50 cm.
Thickness of the exterior walls - 70-80 cm.
Ceiling slab - about 3m / earth, hydroacoustic insulation, concrete.
There are 21 rooms in the bunker, 17 accommodated the headquarters staff, 4 were of special purpose. The dug-out was heated and illuminated by electricity, had ventilation, sewage, water supply. Four tightly closed doors provide protection against chemical agents.
Battle over Fort No. 5
Fort No. 5 (King Friedrich Wilhelm III – XIX century fortification), protecting the northwest direction to Koenigsberg. The Fort is surrounded by a moat. The garrison of the fortification numbered more than 350 soldiers and officers: there were 50 machine guns, artillery pieces and mortars, food stocks could last for 3-4 months. The Soviet troops forced the crossing of the moat, broke into the fort and after a 16-hour long combat, on April 8, completed the rout of the garrison. The most distinguished in the combats for the fort 15 soldiers and officers were awarded the Title of Hero of the Soviet Union, and three junior commanders were awarded the 1st degree Order of Glory.
Instead of the fort No. 5, I mistakenly went to an abandoned fort No. 4 (Gneisenau), a few photos of which can be found here.
Results of assault of Koenigsberg.
From 6 to April 10 more than 92,000 German soldiers and officers were taken prisoners.
During the same period 42,000 Germans soldiers and officers were killed in action.
The front's troops captured the following booty:
field guns - 2030
tanks and self-propelled guns - 89
mortars – 1652,
machine guns - 4673,
armored personnel carriers - 119,
armored trains - 2
vehicles - 8560.