Grand Canal of China in Wuxi
October-November 2008The Grand Canal of China (大运河 - Dàyùnhé), the oldest among presently active, is passing through the city of Wuxi. Construction of the Canal between the rivers Huai and Yangtze started in 486 B.C. by the order of prince of the city Wu (modern Suzhou) for military and trade purposes. The Canal was named Han Gou.
Further development of the Canal continued after hundreds of years, at the time of rule of the Sui dynasty (581 — 618 A.D.). 5 million people used to work at that great construction. In 604 — 609 two portions of the Canal that joined the cities of Luoyang and Yangzhou, were handed over.
Later, other parts of the Canal were completed, rebuilt and destroyed during wars and floods. After invention of sluices they started to be built in the Canal. One fine day the Canal joined Hangzhou and Beijing, with this its length was 1782 km.
Video size: 20Mb.